Monday, July 13, 2009

"Ignorance is Blissters"-Clever huh?

Well, they never said it would be easy, they only said it would be worth it-and they were right! I did the Ragnar Wasatch Back relay and I have to say it was a really good experience. The race is from Logan to Park City-188 miles. They say it's an overnight party between 12 people-I don't know if I would call it a party but it was fun. My friend Kiirstin asked me if I wanted to run because they needed an extra runner so I said "Sure,"-not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I trained for about 3 months. Well race day came way too fast and I was really nervous. (It didn't help that I crashed my car into a lightpole in an empty Walmart parking lot on my way over.. :( sorry babe...but that's a whole other story!) I tried to channel some positive energy from my wonderful teammates and ended up having a really good time-especially when I wasn't running! A quick overview of my 3 legs:
LEG 1- Hot, 7.4 miles, horrible, constant uphill, dirt road, everytime a van passed me I got dirt in my lungs, eyeballs, and mouth-couldn't wait to brush my teeth! People giving me sympathy cheers because I honesty looked like I was going to die (trust me I have pics, but noone of you will ever see them...)Life was good when I finished this one!
LEG 2-Pitch black outside, 3:00 AM, really sore from the first leg because we had 0 time to ever stretch, thought I was going to be eaten by a bear because the runner before me saw one, ended up being 5.1 miles when the handbook said it would only be 4.2-bummer huh?! But everything considered, this was my best run for sure!
LEG 3-Piece O' Cake-or at least easier than the others, 2.5 miles, cool and rainy outside, on a paved road, really REALLY sore, Dustin cheering me on :)
That was the race! I felt really cool that Dustin came to see me because there really weren't any other spouses around. I am one lucky lady! You know, it is really amazing what your body can do if you push it. I have never worked my body that hard on so little sleep and food. I slept about 3 hours and it was bad sleep (we were pretty scrunched in the van). You hardly get any fuel because because you are too scared to eat before you run and then you are sick afterwards. On top of everything, the exercise/no sleep diet seems to really get your insides working so everything you eat lasts for an hour before you have to visit one of the "Honey Buckets." Gross name huh? Sorry I am probably being a little too graphic so I will be done. Can't wait for next year when the whole McIntire clan does it in LA! Yeah Kinosha Kickers!













Thank goodness for water and water MISTERS


About to run my last leg-pretty happy about that!

Team finish! 188 miles later!

One last pic at home

No comments: